Commercial Sign Permit - Billboard Permit
The Michigan Department of Transportation issues permits to individuals operating a billboard located adjacent to and visible from the State highway Right-of-Way.
A. NAME OF PERMIT OR APPROVAL:
Highway Advertising Permits, Billboard Permits, Outdoor Advertising Permits
B. STATUTORY AUTHORITY:
Public Act 106 of 1972, as amended entitled the Highway Advertising Act
C. APPLICABLE REGULATION:
Administrative Rules R247.701- R247.748
D. SUMMARY OF PERMIT/APPROVAL PROCESS:
1. Applicability (activities that require the permit)
No new Highway Advertising Permits shall be issued. Only permit holders with a valid interim permit Form 2223I can apply for a sign permit.
2. Pre-Application Requirements
3. Application Submission Requirements
Permit applicants shall submit the following:
• Commercial Permit Application, (Form 2223) or Non-Commercial Sign Permit, (Form 2223H) • Copy of the approved interim permit, (Form 2223I) • Non-refundable application fee(s) • Acknowledgment and Consent of Landowner, (Form 2495) • Zoning Certification, (Form 3700) • Permit Attachment for Sketch to Accompany Application for Permit, (Form UP-68)
4. Procedures and Time-Frame for Obtaining Permit or Approval
A complete and correct permit application shall be processed within 30 days. During the review period, the Michigan Department of Transportation will review all paperwork submitted and complete a site inspection.
5. Operational Requirements
Each permit holder shall operate according to all permit conditions specified on the permit.
Permit Application Fee: $100.00
• 300 square feet and under: $50.00 • 301 square feet and above: $80.00 • Religious and Service Club Sign 8 square feet and under: No Charge
All fees are non-refundable according to Public Act 561 of 2002 entitled Appropriations Bill, Section 301.
7. Appeal Process
If a permit is denied, the permit applicant may request an Administrative Hearing in writing in accordance with Public Act 306 of 1969, as amended entitled Administrative Procedures Act.
8. Public Input Opportunities
Questions, Comments or Complaints may be directed to Lansing Central Office Real Estate: 517-335-2209.
For further information and forms on Highway Advertising: http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-9623_26662_26679_27267_48606-182170--,00.html
- Creation/Revision Date: December 22, 2008